Monday, September 13, 2010

Gender Expectations 9/13

We are told at a young age that we can grow up to be whatever we want to be. But at the same time, it is an unspoken rule that each gender has its own set of expectations and roles. Guys are supposed to get a decent degree as well as a job so they can financially support their future families. Girls are also told that they should go after their dreams and become doctors or lawyers or any of those wonderful professions. But they are also expected to become loyal wives and amazing mothers. In my culture, there is no such thing as choosing not to get married or have children. Both males and females are encouraged to go to college and continue on to graduate school. Guys are supposed to obtain a stable career because in the future, they will be supporters of a household. As a girl, I’m driven to have a successful career. But I also know that in the future, I will eventually have other responsibilities that come with the female package.
Since the beginning of my senior year in high school, I had to seriously start thinking about career choices. In my family, there is no such thing as graduating high school and not knowing what your major in college will be. The three best careers are a doctor, lawyers, or engineer. No surprise there. So I was always thinking of just me in the future. I don’t mean to sound selfish, but in my dreams and ambitions of the future, I automatically think of how my choices will affect only me. I was thinking about medical school but never really had the passion for it. My parents, of course, supported me all the way. As senior year went on, I started talking to everyone I know about my decision of going to a school that will prepare me for applying to medical school. Many people from school, my family, and my church told me to go for it. But so many others told me that I should start thinking about what I want from life and what I’m able to sacrifice. I remember having long phone conversations with mentors from church and older friends about how to balance becoming a doctor as well as being a wife and eventually a mother. That’s when it hit. Even though in this society both men and women have the same opportunities in the work field, our “natural” roles have not changed. I always knew that one day, I’ll probably have a family of my own. But I never really thought how that will be affected by my career choice. My cousins are all married and have kids of their own. I realized that even if I’m not thinking of that right now, I’ll want that have that someday. It does not mean that I’ll give up on my academic hopes. I was never too thrilled about spending so many years studying medicine anyway. I want to be able to have a job that I like but still have a life.
Our roles as both males and females will never change. We now all have the opportunity to go after the same careers and the same positions. But since the beginning of time, men are the head of the household and women are the nurturing mothers. It’s a natural instinct that most of us have had ever since we were toddlers.

No comments:

Post a Comment